Race Brains (long)

I've been following the posts on race brain training with GREAT interest, I
wish I had this information several years ago.  I borrowed a horse from my
(used to be) husband for the Lone Star ride in Bandera, Texas.  I had just
sold my horse and really wanted to go.  His horse was not so kindly
referred to as a lunatic in certain circles.  I rode him for three months
conditioning him for the LD, the training rides generally consisted of
leaving the barn at a long trot which would escalate into a fast canter
which I couldn't control.  So, standing in my stirrups and pulling with all
of my might, I would eventually (4-5 miles later) be able to pull him back
to a trot.  And we were riding alone...  The entire time I would say trot,
trot, trot.  Eventually, I could actually keep him from cantering by saying
trot and lightly bumping him with the bit.  But, I could never safely
canter him and the trot was as fast as he could possibly go and still stay
in a trot.
Ride time came and I was sick with what I thought was a bad cold.  We leave
camp, Zarr hits a gallop and we are completely out of control and leading
the pack for about 7 or 8 miles.  I am standing in the stirrups pulling and
saying very bad things ( (*&%$##%^*(&!!! horse!!), his head is tucked in
his chest and he's doing 9-0 through rocks, hills, holes and cedar trees.
Finally, in desperation, I turn him into a clump of cedars and get him
stopped, I got off and walked until everyone on the ride had passed me.
Muttering the entire time (^&%$#@* horse!), and managed to get back on him
about 3 miles from the end of the loop.  I arrived at camp, rolled off the
horse in tears and had to explain to the ride people that I was too sick to
continue and the horse was fine.  They checked him out, sure enough he's
perfect.  I'm running 104 fever and go home.  End of story, Zarr takes off
pitching into the pasture when we get home and I spend a week in bed with
walking pneumonia.  Haven't been to a ride since but I'm hoping to make
Montell with yet another borrowed horse.  Ya'll pray for me, I'm still
recovering mentally from that last ride!
Rachael  and Cien (who's a doll but too young to go right now)
	  and Sunny ( Hey!  I'm a roping horse, what are we doing HERE??)