Brain Training?(long)

I think this is what the post was called, can't remember who it was that
suggested the circling bit, but I am eternelly grateful
I don't know if others are like me , but sometimes I know things but
don't think of them until someone states the obvious!!(We have tried
this while schooling in the menage, but not on the trail)
My mare(the one that pulled the neck muscle) is now sound again and I
started training again Monday,but after 2 weeks off she is a maniac
again!! We get a nice active walk going out, but as soon as we turn for
home we cannot walk-jog on the spot or break into a trot This
necessitates 2 paces of walk , trot, half halts until we walk, 2 paces
of walk...... you get the idea!! Trotting is worse.. we start out a nice
pace , on the bit and rounded and as soon as I relax into it we start
going faster and faster, half halts,voice commands and we slow down
again, little further on we start speeding up again..... Needless to say
this is absolutely exhausting and irritating. We CANNOT canter as that
is just an excuse to hop on the spot , go flatout or throw a temper
tantrum!!. She is very light on the bit when relaxed but can really set
herself when fighting and the only control method so far is half halts
on right rein(left is dead!!!). Yesterday I had a brainstorm and
remembered the posts and thought loose rein walk , and circles-lets try.
I took 5 kms of circling every time she decided to trot on her own -
eventually I was dizzy. Eventually she was walking towards home on a
loose(I mean loopy loose) rein. When asked to trot she did so and when
asked to walk she immediately dropped to a walk and kept that pace.! A
miracle!!!!!
We are aiming on doing the walk bit for another few days and then
graduating to trying it at the trot, and maybe when I am brave enough,
the canter.

Thanks , everyone, and specifically the original poster - it's working.

Regards,
Cindy Budler
  Natcon
  Fabrication Division