oh boy ANOTHER training question

I will make this very short and sweet I didn't have very much time to read ALL the posts but will appreciate any knid of advice from a knowledgeable person or maybe a horse ;+) I just was given an arabian mare she is four years old in May. about 14'2 hands tall. 800 lbs Not wet =+) but will hope to get weight on her soon I want to begin her on limited distance. How long would a person wait before I put this kind of  thought in her head? you may reply personally to me at rclawson@vallnet.com I will apperciate any reponses humorous and serious and please don't discourage me I might muddy the water your drinking when me and "Baru" come flying by ;+) Sincerely Carla Lawson and yes I know To finish is to win To survive is even better