Re: NATRC and rocks!

NEWBYCJ@email.msn.com writes:

<<
 In NATRC Region 4 we have some very rocky rides.  You really can't say that
 NATRC doesn't hold rides in rocky areas.  They do!

 Carla Newby >>
Yes, they're held in rocky areas, but they are timed appropriately.  Most
horses can safely pick their way through rocks if given the time; that is how
NATRC rides are timed.  Where I am located (Santa Ynez, California) we have a
lot of rocks and host 2 NATRC rides each year, including an IAHA Regional
Championship ride) we accommodate for the rocks by adjusting the timing.  That
is the difference between an AERC ride and an NATRC ride.  Given that most
AERC riders adjust their own time and take it easy over the rocks, the top
tenners might not.  Also, regarding pads, easy boots, etc.  My horse has
finished the Tevis 5 times without anything other than shoes (I worried about
traction over Cougar Rock and opted for no pads or easy boots).  In my
experience, padding them up just adds to the complications of abscesses, foot
tenderness, etc.  I think we can worry these issues to death, the natural
approach is maybe better.  What do you all think?

Sylvia