quitting - carbs?

Hi Sue,
you wrote:
<<This would explain why rookie horses can run into this
problem.  They are charged up for the first part of the ride but "run
out of gas". But how does this explain the seasoned horse, one that
is fit, has run before with no problems and is not over ridden.
There were three horses that this happened to in SC, maybe more that
I don't know of.

A lot of riders give molasses or caro syrup during the ride, assume
that this is small amount of sugar that you are referring to.  Perhaps
the timing of the doses could be causing a crash?>>

If I had to guess, I'd say that the timing of carb intake could have
been a problem here.  Didn't you mention in one of your posts that
the holds were quite long at this ride?  Perhaps that extra time
allowed horses to eat more sugar than usual, or they ate the same
amount but had more rest time afterwards and a chance to actually
absorb a significant amount of the ingested sugar.  During a long
hold it is very possible the suppression of insulin would decrease;
as a result blood sugar would begin to fall.  The horse would then
return to high intensity work, giving blood sugar a double whammy and
the horse would bonk.  We usually tell humans no carbs within one
hour of exercise for just this reason.  As soon as they start to
work, though, they can resume carb intake since insulin is unlikely
to rise much during exercise.  I'd be very careful about sugars
during long holds, but I might play around with a bit of sugar or
brown sugar at intervals while back out on the trail.   If horses are
like humans in this regard you will likely find some horses are more
sensitive to insulin than others, and I'd certainly experiment during
training with any kind of ergogenic supplementation.

Well, back to writing the reference section for a manuscript.
Dreaded, dull work.   errr..........

Beth

Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY