Carbs, diabetes and horses that quit

Hi Maggie,
Although I can not argue with your success in limiting carbs I think
it is important to distinguish between what is happening in a
diabetic and what is happening in an animal with a normally
functioning endorcrine system.  Just for clarity.  In an exercising
horse, the real danger of too much carb is that it may induce an over
production of insulin in order to lower blood sugar levels, thus
bringing blood sugar to abnormally low levels.  A diabetic has quite
the opposite problem:  they are not able to produce enough insulin to
bring down their blood sugar, or are no longer sensitive to insulin's
action, and their blood sugar remains too high.  Oral meds or
injections of insulin then have to be given, and are often hard to
judge, resulting in an overcompensation and drop in blood sugar.

I'd suggest, at least for the vast majority of humans, that
eliminating one entire macronutrient is probably not a natural or
healthy way to eat over the long term.  For most healthy individuals
variety at every meal  is the key to a good diet.

Regards,

Beth

<<As a diabetic and one who is
becoming wiser daily, I can attest to the fact that it is carbs that
cause me the big trouble...>>>>
<<  Now, to apply this to our horses, I have my doubts about
pumping carbs into them. >>>  (BTW, I am using the Atkins diet for
those wondering and yes, I am eating some carbs but compared to what
I used to eat, it's the next best thing to nothing!)>>

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
McBain, Michigan
http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske

Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY