Re: RC: re: hematoma

So far I haven't seen anybody ask what the treatment was.  Was this
hematoma treated aggressively from the get go?  If so, and it's still there
after two weeks I'd probably have the vet re-check and then determine if it
should be lanced or not.  If not, then I'd try some more aggressive
treatment.

I've had my horse get a couple of hematomas from different things.  One
thing I learned is that doing nothing is not the right thing to do!  Now,
if I encounter something like this I am aggressive in treating it.  As soon
as it happens you want to make sure it doesn't get hot - cool it
down.  Heat can do a lot of damage.  If you can, hose it down for 20 min.
twice a day. (hydro therapy is also good for your lawn) <G>  If that is not
practical, then put ice on it.

Next, I would give the horse bute (unless the vet says
otherwise).  Applying DMSO is good (which I believe the person said they
had done).  Exercise is another very important thing.  Keeping the
circulation going will help diminish the swelling.  Hand walk the horse a
few miles a day, or else free longe him in a large area - do what you can
to keep the horse very active (don't confine him).

Be patient.  Some hematomas can take a long time to go away.  You don't
want to massage it, doing so can break up blood clots and cause even more
serious problems.  When I had a hematoma on my leg lots of people told me
to massage it but my doctor very emphatically told me NOT to....the only
thing that reduced it was exercise - like riding 50 miles :).  It's nearly
all gone now, 16 months later.

Don't be in a hurry to ride this horse.  Again, if the hematoma was allowed
to get 'hot', there could be some damage and riding with a saddle on the
back will really aggravate things.

Karen
& Weaver, yep I'm the one she's talking about :)