Thoughts on Various Recent Posts

COLLARS: I loved mine. I only started using it when Apache was thoroughly
halter trained, but then I used it almost exclusively. And I always used it
when riding. Just attached his lead rope to the collar and when I
dismounted, never used the reins for leading, etc.

FARRIER/VET/STARTLE RESPONSE WHEN TIED, AND OTHER TIMES: I always took
Apache out of his stall when working with him. It was our agreement that his
stall was his private space. I always felt that horses are big creatures,
and if they need to startle, they need a little room for it. A tiny startle
to them can easily carry them several feet. Apache went from a panicked
runaway startle response to the startle-in-place response. I respected his
need to startle, and when he learned to respect my physical self and not
jump on me, and to startle in place, I never made a big deal about
startling, and neither did he. In fact, even when his startling was
dangerous, I never made a big deal over it, because it would make him more
excited, nervous, frightened, and things could escalate terrifically.

I always like to be there when someone is working on my horse. And I like to
hold my horse while he is being worked on. Later in our relationship, when
Apache became accustomed to things and had self confidence, he would pretty
much fall asleep while being shod, but I still liked to be there. I also
feel that the farrier and vet are there to do their job, and it is my job to
handle the horse and let them work.

I have mixed feelings about leaving a horse tied and letting it fight until
it learns it can't win. Aside from the possible physical injuries, I tend to
think this approach may cause the horse to view being tied and standing
still as an unpleasant experience. OTOH, I know several calm, sensible
horses who have had as part of their training, the "tie them in the arena
and leave them there for long periods of time" approach, and they don't seem
to have suffered from it.

So much seems to depend upon the mental makeup of the horse itself.

T'Lara J. Freedom
MILLER THOMSON
Calgary, AB
Canada