Saturday ride

Hey, had a nice little ride this afternoon.  I gave my mare four weeks of R & R and today was the first day back in the saddle.  We started out at a very leisurely walk - she acted as though she'd never been on that trail before!  After twenty minutes of a relaxing walk, we turned onto a well known trail and off she went!  After a few bucks and a lot of head tossing we continued on at a nice trot.  I only rode her for about an hour with a short stretch of cantering (more bucks here too!).

As I was heading back home (this is the point of the post) I stopped at the trough at a nearby stable and watched as the mounted Search & Rescue returned from a Certification Drill.  As I was watching, a rider approached and said that you can always tell an endurance rider!  She said the O.J. jug was the giveaway!  It turns out that she is an endurance rider from the Ridgecrest area (two hours away).  Some of you may know her - Valerie K. Nutter.  We talked for just a few moments and found that we had been to some of the same rides this year and didn't even know it.  She has been riding 25's this year and feels that she and her horse are ready to try a 50.  Wendy Merendini's Go For Gold is going to be her first 50!

I think it is great how a sport such as ours can connect two total strangers.  Within moments of meeting, we were chatting like old friends!  We realized we knew lots of the same people, had been to the same rides, agreed to look each other up at the next ride, and so on!

Gotta just love horse people!
Karen & Montoya DSA
sweaney@lightspeed.net