shagyas again - long

OK, it can get kind of complicated. I'll explain how we do it in the United
States. I'm not as familiar with Europe's way although I know it's similar.

I'll start with stallions. First off, NASS (Shagya registry) doesn't do the
1/2, 3/4, 7/8 etc., Arab IAHA thing. It's either a "part-Shagya" or a purebred
Shagya. For a purebred Arabian stallion to be recognized for Shagya breeding he
must go through the inspection process and receive a minimum score of 7 to be
approved. He will be judged for his head, neck, body, topline, legs, overall
balance, walk, trot and canter. The judges are extremely selective. If
approved, then any resulting offspring from a purebred Shagya mare and himself
will receive purebred papers. HOWEVER, if the resulting offspring is to be used
for breeding, he/she must ALSO undergo the same same approval and inspection
process as the parents. (The purebred Shagya mare must also have through the
inspection/approval process to be used for breeding).

For purebred Arabian mares, it's much the same as pertaining to the offspring.
Any purebred Arabian mare may be bred to a Shagya stallion WITHOUT being
inspected. The resulting offspring will be registerable as 1/2 Arab through
IAHA and Part-Shagya through NASS. IF its a filly you may present her for
inspection and if approved she will be put in a special appendix book, and her
resulting offspring when bred back to a purebred Shagya stallion will receive
purebred papers. HOWEVER, to be used for the breeding the resulting offspring
will also have to go through the inspection process.

The basis for this is the Hungarian's line breeding formula for 3 generations
Shagya to Shagya and out on the 4th to desert bred Arabians. Shagyas are
linebred on purebred Arabians, although for specific qualities and traits, and
the breed standard must always be kept in mind when outcrossing to purebred
Arabians.

And, of course, the Shagya is used for breeding to any and all breeds, however
those resulting offspring will always only be "part-Shagyas" and registerable
with NASS as such. Most breeds used for breeding to Shagyas here in the U.S.
are purebred Arabians, Shagyas, TB's, (anglo-Shagyas are great horses), and
many different warmblood breeds. Also some of the Morgans, QH and Appy's have
been bred back and produced wonderful sporthorses.

The one thing that I must have confused people on based on a couple of
questions I received was on the Warmbloods and TB's. I will try to clarify. The
ONLY time there has ever been any blood OTHER than purebred Arabian blood
infused into the Shagya breed was 200 years ago when the breed began. The
Hungarians used as their beginning broodmare band proven cavalry mares of Arab,
Arab X, TB and some other local breeds. From that point onward ONLY desert bred
Arabians were used. The Shagya derives it's size, substance, bone, disposition
and other attributes from being a linebred Arabian breed. Since they are
linebred, they are prepotent for reproducing Shagya traits and attributes, and
have long been recognized in Europe as a way to improve OTHER breeds. When the
Hannoverian stud in Germany, and the Lippizan stud in Piber felt they needed to
add some outcrossing they brought in a Shagya. Shagyas are used to improve
OTHER breeds. They have been proven to retain the size and substance of the
original breed while adding Arabian elegance, movement and athleticism.

OK, everybody, let's go ride!

Toni Jones
Shagya Stallion O'Biwon
Prineville, Oregon