Agree to disagree/was Different milage buckets

I think this whole thread has become very DUMB....obviously, David, whether
we are new or not, we are going to have to deal with the old timers who are
never going to accept our views on LD whether or not it might be beneficial
to AERC or our sport as a whole.  I, too, thought the comment about knowing
everything in 9th grade was not only condescending but a little mean
spirited.  I also know old timers who don't understand why their LD miles
cannot go hand in hand with their lifetime miles and it makes me wonder if
these people will think AERC is worth joining or renewing.  That can't be
helpful for AERC.  I think when it comes down to semantics maybe we should
quit using terms like "dumbing down" when dealing with each other.
(Sometimes seems there is a little between the lines as well).  That really
bothers me. Is there a caste system on ridecamp or something?  I think we
need to remember we are on ridecamp to learn from each other, even learn
each other's different opinions and to tolerate same.  We need to take a
breather from this and try to understand that it's not necessary to change
the minds of everyone who disagrees with us...some healthy debate
(especially if we can throw in some humor now and again) is helpful in
educating new ridecampers and even old timers about what is going on out
there in the world of distance riding and lets them do some thinking for
themselves about how THEY feel, too.  So we don't agree....can't we live in
harmony appreciating our beautiful horses as fellow horse lovers?

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
McBain, Michigan
http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske