Re: RC: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Uh-Oh! The LD thing again

I have never understood what is so wrong with riding to win whether it is a
25 LD or a 50 or a100 mile endurance race. Winning does nor hurt the horse.
Over riding the horse hurts the horse. Over riding happens at the back of the
pack as well as the front of the pack. The only time I hurt my horse and tied
him up was holding him back to travel with a small mustang ridden by a blind
man (A friend of mine and myself were acting as seeing eye riders for a blind
diabetic who wanted to ride a 100 mile race). My horse has a huge stride and
by compressing it and shorting it up I caused him to carry all his weight on
his back end. He tied up at mile 72. I have never had a problem when I have
tried to run in front.

I think we place more horses at risk when we allow huge purses (AS IN DUBAI
LAST YEAR) in his sport, because some people will do just about anything for
money. It is a far more corrupting influence than a desire to win a ride. I
yet to hear concerns about allowing big purses in our sport. I do not think
that riding a fast 25 on a fit and conditioned horse is any different from a
fast 100. What is working for one horse and rider may not be right for every
horse and rider. But I do not understand why riding to win is painted in such
bad light.

I like winning but I love my horses. I have seen people just trying to
complete and doing everything possible to get passed a vet check. I ride to
win but if I suspect anything is not right with my horse I bring it to the
vet's attention. If the vet then spots a problem or if they don't, I know I
haven't tried to carry on with a horse that should of been pulled. In fact if
I still have doubts after I have been passed I'll pull my own horse. Yet if I
carry on, I want to win or be up front. I still ride the horse I started in
this sport 9 years ago as well as the one I started eight years ago and both
are sound and capable of a competing and completing. Winning has not
jeopardised them or their health.

I don't mean to stir the pot but I would like to get people to rethink their
patent bias about winning and shorter rides.

Jerald
Sandhaven Saddlebreds