Young Newbie

Howdy All!! Well, this is my first time at posting on
ridecamp. I prefer to watch, but I think its time to
ask for some help. I have a Running Quarter Horse/Appy
cross. His mother was a very hot headed horse, fast on
the track, and his father was the Appy.  Well, he's 15
years old, and has some really bad habits. He was my
dads horse, and we got him at age 4, but he's been a
real hot head his whole life, and dangerous and a
youngen. He's calmed down quite a bit considering his
earlier habits, but we've just picked up a new habit.

Thunder has always been a bucker, and I stay on just
fine, but recently while at a local indoor arena, he
reared up on me for the first time. Of course I threw
my wait forward to put him back down, it worked, and i
hoped it wouldn't continue. Well, yesterday we went
for a short ride up the road, and he did great, just
lots of trotting and a fast paced walk. Its hunting
season so we have to be careful, oh fun!

Well, as we neared the bottom of our big hill driveway
up to the barn, he decided it was time to gallop. Oh
boy!! I heald him back until we got next to this group
of bushes. Yehaw! He reared, almost flipping us over
backward, then we jumped the bushes, not volunterily
on my part, and ran back to the barn. Its frustrating
because I've never let him run back to the barn
before, so he's used to having to walk, it feels like
we've been set back 3 months in training. Oh, by the
way, I've been working with him for 8 months.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone have any
suggestions for rearing, and he has awsome potential
for endurance. Thats what we've been training for, and
we've both gotten into pretty good shape.
I ride him western, I'm 16, and he's 16 hh. I have a
slight challenge getting up on him, but have a lot of
fun when we do get on the trail. Any suggestions for
his new love would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so
much!!
Kelsey and Thunder (Thunder Butt)

=====
Happy Trails all, and remember, "..to finish is to win."