Re: RC: Young Newbie

Linda Flemmer replied to:
Kelsey M wrote:

> Howdy All!! Well, this is my first time at posting on
> ridecamp.

Welcome!

>  I think its time to ask for some help.

> recently while at a local indoor arena, he reared up on me for the
> first time.  I heald him back until we got next to this group of
> bushes. Yehaw! He reared, almost flipping us over backward, then we
> jumped the bushes, not volunterily on my part, and ran back to the
> barn.

You need to seriously consider getting an experienced trainer to work
with him before you are HURT!  Misbehaving & being hot headed are one
thing.  His actions are dangerous now.  It is quite easy to be crippled
or killed when a horse rears or runs back to a barn.

You mentioned that you "hauled back" on him when he tried to take off to
the barn...  Did he rear because he had too much pressure or is
over-bitted?  What are you using in his mouth (or on his nose if it is a
Vosal, Bosal, Side Pull, Mechanical Hackamore)?  Does his saddle fit so
he isn't sore?  Is this just an attitude problem on his part?
("YeehHaw!  She can't MAKE me do anything!")

You could try some arena work where he works in a very mild bit and you
play with rounding, circles & spirals, cavalettis, and learning "whoa"
from voice, seat and body cues.  As he gets in better shape, he'll just
have more energy.  They get more & more rambunctious as they get fit!
The bad part is that my horses get in better shape far faster than I do.
They can generally outlast me if it is a test of strength & endurance.
We need to learn to out-think them & condition them to listening to our
"requests".

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV