Saddle Sores

Hello everyone

This is my first post to RC.  There are at least a dozen stories I'd like to share and questions to ask but I will stick to my most pressing issue at this moment.  I am currently riding Apollo, an 11 yo anglo who my family raised from birth.  I used to ride his mother when I was a teen.  I never thought he would be a good endurance prospect because he is sooo laid back.  I thought it would be torture to ask him to go any distance at more than a mosey.  However, my horse that I bought specifically to do endurance with has been battling back soreness problems all year (another long story!)  so I decided to give Apollo a go.

This horse never ceases to amaze me.  Not only is he willing to do the distance but he actually seems to enjoy it.  He completed 3 LD's this summer, one with me and 2 with my father riding.  Then I took him in his first 50 in Sept.  He started getting white hairs on both sides of his withers after his second LD.  Because my dad and I ride in two different saddles it was hard to tell which was causing the problem.  Dad rides in awestern saddle and I use a crosby Marathon.  Apollo has withers resembling Mt. Everest.  Dad quit riding him 2 weeks before my 50 and I used Desitin with baby powder and covered by a chamois when I rode.  Every thing looked good but when we completed the 50 (YEAH!)  he had lost hair on the left side and had some inflammation. (BOOHOO)

So, I bought a new pad, the Relief Pad by Enduring Designs, and that seems to be doing well.  However, I have only done short training rides with it (2 Hours) The hair does seem to be starting to grow back. There is no inflammation and he is not sore to palpitation.  Now finally my question!  What is considered proper care for this kind of situation?  Should I not ride him at all until the hair grows in fully?  Is it OK to ride as long as the problem doesn't get any worse?  Does any one have any other ointment solutions to help ease the problem?

I had planned on riding another 50 this Sat. but I just don't know what to do.
My options are 1) ride the 50 and pull at 25 if it doesn't look good. 2) just do the 25 and have a fun ride 3) give the boy a break and be a volunteer 4) go to work on Sat. and make some money

I don't have any other rides planned until Jan. so he will be having some time off but I don't want to cause him any more damage or discomfort.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Julie and Apollo
So. Cal.
ah