Horse Abuse

	No, I am not trying to revive and issues about IAHA suspensions.
	These are just some observations that I have and have been putting off so
as not to be tagging them on other discussions not relevant to this.  I'm
raising these issues hopefully to get some discussion going and will put on
my thick skin just in case.
	Endurance and other demand performance disciplines for horses creates a a
market for horses with really good conformation for hard work which I
believe stregthens any breed.  Hopefully, at some time that will lead to a
lesser emphasis on breeding horses that are prone to injury when subjected
to hard work as is the cases with horses bred only for halter.
	Most of the endurance riders I have seen take very good care of their
horses.  However, in this sport I am disappointed to see horses that are
over ridden and just plain tired.  We've all seen them.  They start out at
the beginning of the season with luster in their coats, perhaps a hint of
extra weight over hard muscles, bright eyes, and eager attitudes and not a
hint lameness.  They end the season with dull coats, tired eyes, way too
many bones showing and a tendency to be off once in a while and maybe not
having as much fun.  These horses are usually well cared for as well and
their owners would be horrified to think that anyone thought there was a
problem.
	I am talking only about individual horses.  There are many top ten and
high mileage horses out there that this doesn't apply to.
	I also wonder about people who try to get horses with problems past the
vet.  I always feel that the vet is there to help me and my horse.  I
personally don't want to take any chances with injuring my horse.