Bucky.. The Wonder Horse Returns

A couple of people have inquired privately about my husband's horse, Bucky
since my rather embarrassing "accidental posting" on Ridecamp yesterday,
which was to have been private.  I'm told I owe Ridecamp an update on his
condition ;)  So many Ridecampers were so kind to us after the incident,
offering lots of advice and moral support.

For those of you who are new to Ridecamp, or did not follow the thread, my
husband's horse, Bucky, had complete metabolic failure following a very hot
and humid ride last July 3.  Please note, however, that this horse was not
overridden (finished somewhere around last, if not last!), drank like a fish
on the trail all day and was passed through on all vet checks with A's and
B's.  My husband, a novice horseman, now acknowledges that there were
"signs" that perhaps the horse was not "right" before he went back out on
the trail on that last loop (didn't eat during second hold, lethargic, laid
down to "rest" in the paddock).  He also now knows now that he as the rider
has a responsibility to watch for signs only he might recognize and that may
not necessarily be seen by a vet at a check.

Bucky went down not long after completing, his heart stopped twice, and
treatment there on the spot was dramatic, frantic and as complete as any
could be in such a situation.  Endurance riders, vets, spouses and even
weekend pleasure riders came from all directions to assist.   Thanks to
that, and the excellent care he then received at the University of Illinois
at Champaign, Bucky has returned from his "near-death" experience unscathed
and with no residual effects/damage of any kind.  It really is a miracle.
They were given the green light by the vets at U of I to return to 25's only
when the weather cooled and in the last four weeks, they have completed two
25's with great success.  Bucky is back, but things will never be quite the
same for the two.  While we've been told by experienced endurance riders and
vets that this can happen to any horse, at any time, with no apparent
explanation, it was still a painful lesson.  Moral of their story... don't
lay the entire responsibility of your horse's well-being on a five minute
check by the vets.  The vets do a fine job, in most cases, for the time they
are given, but conditions can change rapidly.   Know your horse and don't be
afraid to pull yourself even if the vets have said you can go on.

Again, thanks to all for the moral support.  It has meant so much to all of
us.

Susan Swope-Attardi
AERC Southeast Region
Kentucky