Re: Charity Trail/ loading

I can't add much to Angie's method. I've used it and a couple of similar
methods.  Quite frankly, I've had the best luck loading skittish or scared
horses *by myself* with *no one* else around. The idea is to make loading a
calm process.  The more people you've got, the less calm it gets.  Don't get
in a hurry.  Plan to take LOTS of time.  Work on loading some day when
you've got nowhere you need to be.

Pulling a horse into a trailer will never work.  Scaring them in might get
them in the first time, but you'll have big problems loading them any other
time after that.  Anything you can think of that will be non-scary but will
make being outside the trailer less pleasant than being inside the trailer
will be a good start.

Personally, I use a long cotton rope that I hook to the halter, run through
the front window and back to my hand.  I don't put pressure on it; I just
use it to keep the horse facing the trailer.  If the horse is scared and
wants to back up, I let them. Then I use something like a broom or a lunge
whip and I annoy them.  I basically "poke-poke-poke" or "tap-tap-tap" around
the hock and rump area.  The horse tends to get fidgity, but not scared.
When the horse takes a step forward, I stop annoying for a minute, give lots
of praise.  Then I start annoying again until I get another step... etc.
I've never had one who didn't hop in the trailer voluntarily after 5 minutes
(ok, I had one who took 10).  I then back the horse out and we do it again.
Then we ride around the block, unload and do it again. I do usually put some
goodies in the manger so there is a reward for getting in.

I am not surprised that your horse loads fine in the three horse slant.
They're a lot more open and roomy.  However, since your horse has loaded
fine in the bigger trailer, it shouldn't be too hard to get him to load in
the smaller trailer (as long as it's not physically too small for him).  I
don't know how tall my trailer is exactly, but it's a Thoroughbred height
two-horse and I've just got dinky little Morgans <G>!

Best advice, just take your time... don't get "help" (one other person can
sometimes be handy, but make sure they're not in a hurry either) and use a
method that "convinces" (e.g. Angie's rope) or "annoys" (e.g. my broom
method). BTW, if you've got a particularly difficult horse, a combination of
the rope and broom might work pretty well, but you would definitely need one
more set of calm hands. I doubt your horse would fall into that category
though.

Best of luck!

Kirsten