Charity Trail/ loading

 He goes in >perfect
>in my friend's 3 horse slant load, but won't get in our side by side.
>Has >anyone else had this problem??  Any advice and help would be much
>appreciated.  Thanks!

I'll leave it to everyone else to tell you to try the Lyon's methods.
I'll just tell you what's worked on every horse I've ever loaded in my 2
horse (well over 100 horses is my guess).

Make sure the trailer isn't too short.  Don't put a 15.2 horse in a 6
foot high trailer.

Open ALL the windows (load on the left and open the escape door too).
Make it look as open as possible.  If Kaboot's front window is open you
just throw the rope over his neck and he can't wait to get in.  If it's
closed he backs out and looks at me like, "you forgot SOMETHING!"

NEVER pull on the lead rope.  The horse is going to move AWAY from
pressure.  If you pull his nose forward, he will respond by pulling back.
 TRUST me. Just point his nose straight, do not pull.

ALWAYS use shipping boots.  If you are applying pressure on a horse from
behind (possibly rump rope) he's liable to slide his rear cannons under
the rear of the trailer.

Now, many people will have many ideas on Lyon's methods, etc. which I am
sure work, but I've never had to learn because this has always worked
beautifully for me.  Take a fat cotton rope and tie it to the tie ring on
the left side of the trailer (run the rope over the door at the hinges,
don't let the door be within the loop of the rope!) I'm assuming you are
cupping his rump and take it up to the divider bar and just go around  it
and right back.  (wear gloves).

For years I was scared to try a rump rope because I pictured a horse
running backwards through it and getting in all kinds of trouble.  Knock
on wood...not one horse has ever done more than lean on it.  The trick is
to let the pressure be very calmly applied from behind.  Don't do this
where there are crowds of men (or women) who want to jump in and help you
hurry him in.  All I ask of the horse is that he remain facing the
opening to the trailer.  I'll slowly hitch up that rope a little until
he's uncomfortable.  When he steps away from the pressure, I let him
stand there a second before I hitch it up some more.  I have NEVER had a
horse run back through the rope, but DON'T LET ANYBODY PULL ON THEIR
HEAD!!!  I can honestly say I have never had to resort to any other
method, and I've loaded some horses that people didn't think could be
loaded by myself. (it just takes a long rope from their halter run up to
the front of the trailer and back out.  Be careful and don't let yourself
get tangled in ropes, don't get in the trailer with them, and have a tall
trailer (mine is 7'3").

The most common mistake I see people make is pulling the horse from the
front, and having too many people "attacking" the horse from behind.  If
you had a gang after you...would you feel safe getting in a tiny
confining space?  By the way, NEVER tie the horse's head before the back
doors are locked, and ALWAYS untie it before you open them.  That's
another big newbie wreck I've seen several times.

Angie and Kaboot ( a real road warrior now)

Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use --
Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web!
Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh.