Re: barefoot

In a message dated 99-01-30 11:30:15 EST, helgeson@lansford.ndak.net wrote:

<< have also noticed that since I have started to leave his front feet more
 square and not trimmed round that he does not trip or stumble at all.
 Has anyone else noticed this in their horses?  >>

Especially if your horse has a long, low stride, as most endurance horses do,
it's important to square, or shorten the toe.  You've probably noticed that
the horse wears the toe short when barefoot.  Leaving the toe long impedes the
horse's breaking over (sort of the same reason that park horses have such long
hooves; encourages them to take a shorter, higher stride).  Going down hill,
especially, a long toe can make the horse trippy, particularly if it's almost
time for a trim & the hooves are getting long.
Make sure your farrier understands that you need the toe squared off.  My
farrier also sets the shoe back just a little which helps keep the natural
breakover, and also makes sure there's adequate heel support from the shoe.
Heel support is also important when you start shoeing ---- farriers are often
hesitant to leave much heel on the front shoe because they're afraid the horse
will step on the heel with the hind foot.  If the horse is properly conformed,
which it probably is to be able to withstand endurance, and if the front toes
are squared off so as not to interfere with the breakover point, the horse
shouldn't pull the front shoes.  In 3400 miles on my 2 horses, I don't believe
either one has stepped on/pulled a front shoe (they will sometimes come off
within a week of reshoeing because the nails get loose).
My winters are often wet, making the horses hooves softer than they probably
would be in a drier climate, & a lot of the rides are in very rocky terrain,
so shoes are a must now that I'm doing 50's (could get away without them for
much of the yr when doing just 25 CTR's).

Good luck!!

Nancy
& Tempo who really likes his shoes