Looking for help to start endurance in Egypt

I just recently subscribed to RideCamp after being on a general list for
quite a while.  I live in Egypt and own a couple of mares (one due to foal
at any moment) and a 16 mo. colt, all garden-variety Arabs.  Some of us here
are interested in trying to establish endurance riding in Egypt, as we have
the land - long as you like desert - and the horses, but unfortunately
absolutely no experience.  There is discussion among the Arab breeders here
of having a low distance race or two in conjunction with their November show
and we are looking for all the information we can get on how to do this
properly.  The breeders actually are talking about a 35 km exhibition thing
for just their horses and probably about a 60 km open ride for normal
people.  I'd like to hear about people's experiences in Dubai, general and
specific to the race (ie, footing, supplies, where did they do it etc.) and
will happily listen to anything else that someone may have to offer.

I'm an almost 50 yr old mother of teenagers and  currently ride a 13 yr old
country bred Arab mare who's main love is the desert.  I stable her at the
edge of the desert near Sakkara outside of Cairo and our usual jaunt is
about a 20 km ramble.  She's recovering from a tendon injury incurred
showing off racing a 23 yr old stallion near the pyramids here and our
outings have been walk, graduating to increasing amounts of trot, and now
moving into some canter.  Pending the vet's approval, I'd hope to have her
able to participate in a 60 km event in Jordan in April (The goal being
finding out how it's done and completion rather than winning anything).  If
anyone wants to reply privately, that's fine. I expect to learn a lot just
lurking here, but I hope to find some long-distance mentors as well. But I
would especially like to hear from people who did go to Dubai on how they
liked it.

Thank you.
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt