Fwd: Re: FM50

Jim, Jim.... the trail marking was WONDERFUL... for those of us who are
insecure and directionally inhibitied!   Please,  Tom,   I'll admit even
I could follow the trail easily but this was terrific (even if my mare
was off and we didn't complete!)   Please feel free to keep over-marking
trail .... I have this great fear of wandering around in the desert on
multiple  off-road trails for days.......

Jim is right.  The weather was wonderful and it was a treat to see the
sun rise brightening western mountains while still fairly dusky along
the area where we were riding!  jan

---- Begin included message ----

-----

>There was certainly a lot of talk about the Fire Mountain 50 ride before
>it took place . . . where are the results and ride "roundup" after the
>fact? Can anyone elaborate?

    The most interesting fact I noticed was the lack of ridecamp posts after
the ride. I guess there must be some correlation between active ridecamp
story tellers and how early you send your entry in?  Anyway just an
interesting fact to mull over.
    So being all the good posters stayed home I will attempt to fill the
void with a little story.
The Friday before the ride it was a beautiful sunny day with the temperature
hitting close to 70 degrees F.  I rode an afternoon warm up ride in my
shorts. I thought about clipping my horse but knew cooler temps and wind
were forecast for the next day.  The morning started with a 5 to 10 mph
breeze that increased during the day. But unlike two years ago it stayed
pleasant with the wind never exceeding 25 mph. (the people that live there
probably consider that no wind at all)   I noticed that most of our horses
had more of a dehydration problem than normal. I attribute this to the wind
drying their sweat out quickly and inhibiting their desire to drink. There
was one horse treated for dehydration at the end but otherwise a pretty
uneventful ride for the vets I think.  However I heard some other riders
talking about similar dehydration problems with their horses. Nothing
serious, just darker urine than normal, not as much desire to drink.
    65 horses started the 50 and 60 finished. 40 started the 30 and all
finished.
The management obviously took the championship qualifier status seriously
and the ride was marked better and had more volunteers than ever before. And
this is for a ride that has always been well marked and had plenty of help
by the average standards of our average rides.
   I must comment on the marking of the first loop. It was kind of like Las
Vegas. There was so much ribbon out there blowing in the wind that it felt
like the glitter of the Las Vegas strip. The third loop was marked more
normally and felt naked after that first loop.  I heard Nancy Burton marked
the first loop and must say that it was the most overmarked trail I've ever
been on. Nobody could get lost on that loop. (I hope)
    We had a good ride, finishing 4 horses. And another lady from our barn
did her and her horses first 50 and was pleased to finish also.  Overall the
riders moved right along as this ride has excellent footing and people tend
to ride faster than most other rides.
   Now it is on to 20 Mule Team and the 100 there.

Jim Mitchell

---- End included message ----