Re: to feed or not to feed in the trailer

In a message dated 1/29/99 5:32:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, wpcombs@kih.net
writes:

<<
 I, too, am a "lurker", and have been following the trailer thread closely.
My question is:  do you feed while moving?  I used to all the time, until I
had a friend tell me that her vet told her that it is not a good idea.  If you
hit a bump (or brake) at just the right time, the feed can "go down the wrong
way" and choke the horse without you knowing it until you reach your
destination.  At the risk of the horses getting bored - no more feed while
moving!

I always feed my horse in the trailer on the way to a ride.  I have heard the
"choking" argument before.  But after many thousands of miles back and forth
across the country, I have luckily not had it happen.  I feel that just being
in the trailer burns calories on a horse and if you are hauling long distance
to a ride, your horse can't afford to arrive there in deficit mode.  I don't
feed grain or pellets along the way just forage hay.  We stop every 4 hours to
get the guys out, walk around, pee and drink (them not us).  Anyway, have had
great success with this method.  I would not consider hauling my horse any
substantial distance without letting him have hay in front of him.  It is not
just a boredom thing, they need the fuel!    If it is a short trip, of course,
you don't need to worry about not feeding and if you feel safer not doing so
it is not a problem.  Good luck to you.

Sylvia