Re: Trailer ties

In a message dated 1/28/99 5:25:54 PM EST, cree_l@LSA.Lan.McGill.CA writes:

<<
 Provided a horse is trained to load and unload properly and quietly,
 what would be the reason one would tie a horse in a trailer as
 opposed to not tieing (whether slant load or straight load)? What
 are opinions/experiences on this? I would prefer to leave a horse
 untied, but then I only have one horse at the moment. Perhaps this
 would be different if I was trailering more than one horse (?)
 Lysane

I have three trailers, 1) 4 horse slant 2) 4 horse slant w/Living Quarters 3)
16' stock bumper pull.  The only trailer I'll haul a horse loose in is the
stock trailer.  It has no openings in it for a head or hoof to get stuck, it
has no manger, it does have a wide chest bar/plate across the front.  Very
safe for hauling loose.  I have hauled two horses loose in a standard two
horse side by side and they BOTH turned around!  Don't know how they did it
and I never felt anything while driving.  BTW, they weren't hurt and appeared
quite happy with themselves.  In answer to your ??, horses will try to turn
around in a very tight place and get themselves stuck.  It's stupid of them,
but they will try.
Leigh