Re: Worming

In my neck of the woods (California, wouldn't you know), lots of
people are turning to alternative therapies for worming and really
evaluating their vaccinations, as some of the thinking is that
horses are over-vaccinated.  For instance, tetanus is only repeated
every 8-10 years for people, but given to horses yearly.  Some
think this is overkill.  Back to worming, though:  I worm twice a
year--ivermectin paste once and ivermection injection once.   Just
had fecals done again on both horses after following this regimen
for several years and both are negative.

My question-- why do I need to worm a horse with a *negative*
fecal?  To me, it is sort of like giving chemotherapy to a person
with no signs of a malignancy!  I  understand about encysted
parasites, but if fecals are always negative, what does that mean?
Also, I had a QH some years back (had him for 22 years).  I had
fecals done every 6 months--always negative.  Vet at that time
said he didn't need worming.  Lived to age 29, never any colic or
sign of worms, always a negative fecal.

Comments?

Christie

P.S.  Horses are kept at boarding stable :( in large paddocks with
shelters--not on pasture...