Re: one more lesson learned....comments.....

In a message dated 1/27/99 11:45:07 PM EST, Dbeverly4@aol.com writes:

<< Oh, by the way, let's hear it for
 straight load trailers!!!!   Why anybody would willingly get INSIDE a horse
 trailer with their horse is beyond me!  (The slant load referenced belonged
 a friend).  Happy Trails! >>

OK, here goes.....dah......the mistake you made was not because it was a slant
load trailer.....you simply forgot to undo the trailer tie.  Now, I have a
slant load withOUT drop down doors.  The trailer has stock trailer type slates
down the front and back sides.  If I am by myself, or with someone, I reach
the two inches required inside the trailer at the head of the horse
and....undo the trailer snap, then I open the back door and the divider.  I
still encourage the horse to stand until I get to his head and ask him to
back, but if he decides to come on back, at least he's not tied.  I think it
is very important to NEVER OPEN THE BACK DOOR OF THE TRAILER WITH YOUR HORSE
STILL TIED, NOT EVEN WITH A BUTT BAR OR CHAIN.  I've seen several horses get
badly hurt going under the butt bar/chain once the door was open.  Anyway,
don't blame the slant load for your mistake, you just didn't think thru all
your options.
Leigh