Re: Let's Discuss Worming

In a message dated 1/27/99 9:37:06 PM EST, DBarabians@aol.com writes:

<<
 Ride Campers:
 I'd like to hear your annual worming routines, reasoning, and any particular
 brands being used.  Reading John Lyons - Perfect Horse - he recommends a
 couple different plans.  What are you using and why?

Jan= Strongid P paste
March= Safe-guard Paste
May= Ivermectin paste
July=Strongid paste
Sept= Safe-guard paste
Nov= Ivermectin paste

Generally, once per year, I'll treat for tapeworms with double dose Strongid
Paste.  I always give Ivermectin in Nov., because we have a hard frost by
then.  If we don't get a good frost, I'll just keep using it until we do.   My
foals are wormed with Strongid at 30 days, and rotate Strongid P and
Ivermectin at monthly intervals until they are 12 mon., then they go on normal
adult schedule.  We also drag pastures to breakup manure clumps, I rotate
pastures and give areas a rest, we also dump the manure spreader on hay fields
and the cow pasture, not the horse pasture.  Dont' do fecals, but I bet I
could reduce the worming if I did.  We have 22 horses/ponies on about 50 acres
of grass (more if you count the woods).  This makes us be extra careful about
dragging, etc.  There's not alot of acres/horse, so I need to extra careful
about sanitation and preventative measures.
Leigh