Re: AERC PROGRAM OMMISSION

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:13:55 -0700, "Robert Morris"
<bobmorris@rmci.net> wrote:

>Our By-laws, under Article XIII call for an annual meeting to be held. In the past this has been a prominent feature of the Convention. A forum where in the members have an opportunity to express their concerns, comment on the actions of the Board and to make suggestions for the conduct of the Organization.

>The omission of this is in direct contravention of our By-laws and I request the General Membership Meeting be reinstated in a prime time slot.

I just checked the website.  Incredibly, although there is a listing
for "Board meeting, swearing in of new officers" Saturday morning from
9:00 am to 12:00 noon, this is concurrent with two major speakers!!!!!

I believe that to not give the Annual Meeting its own dedicated time
slot, with enough time for a full airing of member views, is a major
mistake.  I agree with Bob that if it is not a full violation of the
letter of our Bylaws, it is certainly a violation of their spirit.  It
appears to me to be one more indication of a Board getting out of
touch with the members, not caring enough to even continue holding a
proper general meeting.

I most strongly urge a revision of the schedule to allocate a proper,
dedicated time for our Annual Membership Meeting.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net