Tue. rain

Denise,

Am I glad I do not have to go up to Arriba Vista today.

I forwarded to you a copy of the material from Paul Milton.  Maybe it will be
best to just have him build that wagon for me.  It will be sturdy and safe.  I
can include the brakes so that I can stop going down a hill that a team of 4
Mini's or Shetlands pulls me up.  I guess it will not do very well for CDE
events.  I see why you own so many vehicles.

I am studying the books you lent me.  Training Level Test 2, will it always be
in that order?  I do believe that Diamond can do all of it well.  I will have
2 problems.  Making smooth circles, and the figure 5, "free walk on long
rein."  I will need to learn exactly what the difference is between the walks.
I am unclear about that now.

I have discovered a new way to train and condition the boys.  I have a dirt
driveway which is 2/10 of a mile long.  It has a longer gentle climb, and a
short steep clime.  I have a boy on a lead rope, in my hand, beside my Ranger.
I paced them in and out at 5 miles an hour, calling it a jog.  That was 4/10
of a mile.  Then I paced them in and out at 10 miles an hour, calling that a
trot.  That equals 8/10 of a mile.  Easy, quick to accomplish, I can even do
it today in the rain.  Racing speed for them seems to be 14 miles an hour.
The pony's head is right beside my head, so I can easily communicate the word
commands I use.

This is how I used to exercise my Irish Wolfhounds or German Shepherds.  Seems
to work even better with the boys.  Especially Melody, I am sure because of
all of his being dragged behind the cart.

Training, exercise, mussel development, even making them more and more
comfortable with autos.  I would not do it with a pony that we had not already
taught to run tied on to the cart.  It works sooo good.  (I do want your
opinion.)

It seems it would be good to alternate days of this with days or lunging and
days of driving.  It took me only 17 minuets to do both boys separately.  With
Dons help on Sun. We could do all 3 at once from the back of the pickup truck.

I have found the perfect Appy, in color, for our team, in Utah.  Melody is
36," this Utah boy is 34 & 1/4 " I feel the difference is too great for them
to be a pair.  But that there can be that much difference between the front
pair and the rear pair.  The Utah boy has a barrel much grater than Melody,
and they are exactly the same age.  Melody is lean and he gets a lot of
exercise.

Well, building this team will take much work, money and time.  I am still
going to do it.  I looked at the little mares this weekend.  The smaller, roan
one will probably do in size.  She does not have the flashy look I want, but
if I can get her cheep, I may just do it.  Well, you know the story then,
drive Melody and the Mare as a pair with Diamond out in front as a Unicorn.
(That is why I will buy her.  I can keep her as a spare.  I used to work with
4 to 6 Shetlands in public for 10 years, every weekend.  You gotta have an
extra for the day that one has a big cut, or even just a bite which pulled off
the hair from a big patch of skin.)  If I get one to work the pair now, I may
have the patience to develop a very pretty team of 4.

I will not be there this Thurs. night.  I must be at the County offices for a
big gathering hosted by the Supervisor who appointed me to the Commission.  I
had better just go.

Marilyn will bring her filly Tue. morn the 2nd of Feb.  I will see you the
night of the 4th.

Can I drive with the other drivers at Arriba Vista on Sundays from 4 to 6:30?
I doubt that I will ever make it, unless it is raining.  We work around here,
and I would much rather drive at a park if the trails are open.

Lynge