A story true story -- HORSES & ECONOMICS

This is a true story.  The names are not printed to protect the guilty and add
to the conversation.

A friend of mine owns a drop dead gorgeous show-type Arabian with "famous"
bloodlines.  She paid a relatively high dollar for him as a just 2-year old
and trained him herself.

When she and I became friends, she decided to try endurance racing and became
my conditioning partner.

The night before the first race we were at dinner with the other riders.  A
very well known rider bragged about never ever spending more than $500 to
purchase an endurance horse.  My friend and I were newcomers, so we stayed out
of the conversation, but exchanged "meaningful" looks because we had both paid
MUCH more than $500 for our horses.

The ride went very well for both of us.  My friend's horse was incredible!
She had conditioned well on a quality horse and it was really, really
apparent.

At the end of the ride the next afternoon, the braggart came over and asked
seriously if my friend's horse was for sale.  The very serious answer was,
"Yes, but for a lot more than $500."  The braggart walked away.

My question is this: Who sets the price of endurance horses?