Re: More on NPCA; and, what are we doing to the horse as a symbol?

Thank you for doing the research and giving Connie verbal support.  She has
been fighting this battle on the home front to save these 3 stables for a long
time now.  She does not board there, she keeps her horses at her home.  When
Connie speaks she has researched the facts.

Depending on where in our wonderful Country you live, you may or may not have
a problem with trail closures.  Over the past 15 years at least, different
historical trails, or parks where horses were allowed have been threatened.
Many different reasons in different areas.  Let me point out just a few that
were lost, or where a fight was necessary to maintain our trail rights.

Western States (Tevis) Trail
High Sierra Ride
Drakes Bay Ride
Henry Coe Park
Crystal Springs
Edgwood Park
Yosemite Park
Coyote Creek

A Public Agency can lock out equestrians, or the public in general.
A trail can be paved which facilitates other users, but turns equestrian away.
Staging areas closed, or parking designed so it will not facilitate a truck-
trailor rig.
Endangered species in the area, or soils types of special nature.
Trail collapse, and not repaired, no way to pass.
Wilderness designation, which meant, no clearing of fallen trees, so trail
closure resulted.
Wilderness designation which meant, no competition allowed, or no motorized
vehicles allowed.  Remember, we stage with a truck.
Land becomes a public park, use is closed at 5 or 8 PM, which means it cannot
be used after work for much of the year.

All of these Trail systems are reachable from the San Francisco Bay Area.
This is my home area.  I have worked to save some of these trails, and I know
many of the people who have worked so hard to keep our horses on these trails.

This is definitely the time to become a trail activist.  There are so many
different ways, and I hate to say one serves more than another, or that one
way is better than the other.  I will tell you that without that first line of
defense, the position that Connie takes, you will have less trails to protect.
Connie has served for years on the public boards in her County.  She knows the
administrators of all of the lands she rides on.  Connie passes information,
history and fact to the rest of us.  Connie should not have to do this all
alone.  I am so glad for this tool, "Ridecamp."  We can all help Connie or
Crockett, or Heide, or Randy, or Jackie, or the Duck.

Thank You Connie!

Lynge Simoni
West