swelling in stifle

I have been reading all the comments made about buying an endurance horse.  I live in N. Cal  and have had no luck in finding a sound horse.  Many of the ones i have found were great for trail but not for endurance.  I am on a limited budget.  Only 3000 to spend.  I thought that was enough.  I have found one that i truly liked.  A 4 yr that the vet termed adequate.. The only thing that he noticed was a very small swelling in the stifle.  The horse moved well and showed no pain or stiffness.  The suggestion was xrays.He said that it may show something, then again it may show nothing.  Cost is a factor since i have been spending money on vet checks.  The horses are getting better but i seem to still not get the brass ring.  I think that i may just bite the bullet and go for broke with this one.  His manner is loving and great. What may be causing this swelling and should i go for it. I feel that i might not find one this season if i don't go for this one.  My area is drying up. Hutch