Re: Endurance Horses

Terry & Gail Kinter wrote:

> My heart goes out to breeder's who try. I am raising a foal now and he
> is almost 2 I will NEVER get the price I would need to even break even
> on him. He has been wormed,shots,ect. good conformation, but who knows
> if he will make an endurance horse or not. Most likely he will, but I
> will never raise another one it costs too much money, when I can go buy
> one for $1500 or less most of the time if I take my time and look.

I have to add a comment here-

After reading all the discussion about breeders, recue horses, etc.
seems to me it still comes back to personal choice. I think it is great
that we have choices and so many options - there are fine, fine horses
available from reputable breeders and if a person likes to take a
chance, rescue horses offer an incredibly rewarding possibility. Or you
can breed and raise your own. All the options have differing price tags,
and when it comes right down to it, you're going to spend lots of
dollars one way or another. Each has differing rewards, which I don't
feel you can put a price tag on.

I've raised the two trail horses that I have now. They may never win
anything of significance in competitive trail or endurance, or measure
up to the really top horses in these sports. And they've costed me a
small fortune to raise. But the rewards that I have gotten out of the
experience are something that I cannot put a price on - and I have never
regretted the money, time and efforts that I have put into these two
horses. I hope to someday raise another foal. I also hope to someday be
able to provide a home for a horse that needs rescuing. And I also dream
of someday buying a real special horse from a breeder that produces a
bloodline or breed that I have never had the opportunity of owning. It
would be nice to experience horse ownership from all the options. But in
the meantime, I can only afford and need two horses, and so will enjoy
and cherish the ones I have.

The point I wanted to make here is that it's great to have these
choices. As with competing, there are options for everyone, and this is
a great forum in which to learn from the experience and expertise of
others. I don't think there's a right or wrong, good or bad here. We
should appreciate all the options that we have!

Ruth