Horse prices

Hi ridecampers,
After all the talk about breeding endurance horses and how much we
should or not expect to pay, etc. I wanted to point out that those of us
who may have bought an endurance horse (or rather a potential endurance
horse) at what some consider cheap prices should not be made to feel
guilty that we got a bargain... cheap in price does not mean cheap in
quality.  There are some areas of the country where one may buy a damn
nice Arab or Arab cross and reasonably expect it to perform to whatever
level we are willing to condition and train and ride it to... I believe
part of a horse's greatness (or lack of it) depends on the dedication
and care of its owner/ rider.  I understand many people have several
horses for back ups... my backup is 6 months old and will be ready when
my current guy is ready to start taking it easy!  I also have a damn
nice Egyptian bred stallion at stud and hope over the years to produce
some nice foals geared toward the sport of endurance... I have no
aspirations of making money, just dreaming some dreams.  No matter what
one pays for their horse, we should all feel we can dream about someday
riding in (even winning) a championship ride, or the Tevis Cup or Old
Dominion or whatever your goals may be.... that's what makes endurance
so cool... it is not an elite group of people who had to spend big bucks
on horse and equipment or start training as a kid to ever be able to
"make it"... many of the ridecampers didn't start until they were older
and retired!!!  That is TOO cool!  With this sport, anyone can achieve
their goals, especially if they work together, which I believe most
ridecampers do... I read this somewhere.... T.E.A.M..... Together
Everyone Achieves More.... I think that epitomizes what I have seen
among fellow endurance riders.  So, no matter what you paid for your
horse(s) (I paid $1000-$1200 here in rural northern Michigan), DREAM ON
ridecampers!!!  But add a little sweat and blood and tears for success!
Maggie