Re: another saddle fit question - TRY THIS

Bambi Forbes forbes@mountainmax.net
I went to a Mark Rashid clinic recently. (Author of "Considering
the Horse" and  "A Good Horse is Never a Bad Color")

http://frii.com/~rockin5r/index.html

Every horse that had a behavior problem, really had a *saddle
fit* problem (or a rider problem).
Saw a video on saddle fit.  Seems to have more to do with "twist" at the front of the tree.
People also tend to place the saddle too far forward.

I'll try to explain this. But you should really go to Mark's
horsemanship clinic.

Put a saddle on your horse's back, no pad, not cinched.
Feel under the front of the saddle at the edge of the scapula. Is your hand pinched?
Now turn the horse's head toward you.  Pinched?  So is your horse's "shoulder" (scapula).
A saddle that seems to fit while the horse is standing still may not fit when he starts to move.

Slide your hand under the place your weight will be.  Should
be tight - against the ribs, (but obviously not on his spine).

Now check the backof the tree.  Your hand should slide in easily, no pinch.
 If his point of hip is going to bump into the tree as he moves, your saddle is too long.

Saddle him up and get on.   Reach up between the scapula
and front of saddle. Have him move forward.  Imagine your
hand has to stay there for all those miles.  Are you comfortable?

A pad with more support under your leg will help lift the saddle off his scapula, but a well fitting saddle will be better.

Get to this horsemanship clinic if at all possible.  I audited (without horse) and learned more about horse/human
relationships than I have in 30 years of being with horses.
Found some amazing things when I went home and got on
my horses.

Bambi Forbes

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-