planning rides

bob

Glad you mentioned the rules.  I wondered about the riders' and their placing.

Ride management does bear a lot of responsibility.  My 6 year's experience with endurance riding albeit mostly LD, may not give me credibility in endurance riding.  However, my observations are that
    participants (riders and managers) do not consider potential legal ramificaitons of actions
    ride planning comes from trial and error experience
    ride planning is not done with any degree of consistency from ride to ride
    ride planning should be more than the number of portapotties - it must include risk assessment
    few ride managers are trained in risk assessment

Not having worked with ride management on a ride, I do not make these observations from an position of experience.

Having made these comments, I suppose I'll have to work on a risk assessment primer.  It's really nothing more that asking "what if" (a method used in process safety management as required by OSHA for some kinds of industry to prevent process failures which could harm employees), determining how the failure can be avoided in a practical application, , and implementing the necessary controls - like warning ribbons at a ride.

Oh well, there still is a little fun left out there on the trail.

janetb  and the family (whinny whinny, bark bark, meow meow)