No Subject

<< That
 is why this statement has really thrown me, because I have never
 consider even backing an arab until almost 4 years old. So I am
 wondering what everyone else thinks about this statement. Am I
 the only one surprised? >>

Heidi wrote:
No, not surprised.  Reading the whole statement, Bazy Tankersley firmly
states that it is the fall of their two-year-old year and that they do not
do
anything that would be taxing to a young horse's joints.  Light work is not
apt to be injurious at that age, and I would imagine that Bazy would be one
of the first to object if we tried to lower the age for competition in a
sport such as ours.  She actually makes reference to racing in the statement
as you quoted, pointing out that they don't do anything at all like that. It
isn't the backing of the young horse that is dangerous, it is the over-eager
rider trying to do too much too soon.

Supporting Heidi's thought, May I also point out that Bazt Tankersley turns
her weanlings out on the range with their mothers from 6 months to age two -
In essence doing the "LSD" work of building strong muscles and joints from
the time they are six months old.  I suspect her horses have much better
grounding at two in terms of muscle/skeletal strength than many horses who
do not have the opportunity to grow up on the range.
Alison Farrin
The Hirsch Company/Innovative Pension Design