Re: RC: RC: Breaking two year olds to ride -Reply

In a message dated 9/21/99 6:53:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ColleenO@jhc.com
writes:

<< I would bet quite a few, I really don't think we should honor a woman who =
 mass produces and "sells her culls" off as much as she does. >>

Just for the record, Colleen, Bazy is FAR less guilty of this than the
majority of "large" breeders in this country.  Having been involved this past
year with Arabian Horse Rescue Network, it is a rare thing for an Al-Marah
horse to find itself in such a situation, whereas other big show ring names
show up there at a dime a dozen.  Bazy has long emphasized "using" horses,
and most of her "culls" will at least make decent riding horses.
Furthermore, Bazy makes an attempt to start youngsters under saddle so that
they CAN be sold as riding horses--an effort which is all too rare in our
industry.  I, for one, applaud a program where the "culls" can be "sold off"
as rideable registered youngsters instead of flooding the horse feedlots as
unhandled, unregistered nobodies.  The very fact that she HAS a training
strategy for young horses illustrates her commitment to producing useable
horses.  Bazy is also one of the biggest activists in IAHA for cleaning up
the drugging, the David Boggs sort of abuse, etc., and is working hard to try
to change how IAHA judges are educated in hopes of improving the conformation
that is expected in halter classes.  I think you are barking up the wrong
tree here in throwing stones at Bazy for her "mass production"--I'd rather
have folks with her knowledge and commitment breeding 30 a year than 30
breeders with one cull mare producing one cull baby a year by the horse "down
the road" with no thought to its serviceability or future, or breeding to a
grandson of the current "fad" sire thinking they are going to "make a buck."

Heidi