Re: RC: Re: Montana accident

> "Awful, yes, IRRESPONSIBLE  is more the word.  I hope they get sued!!!! "

"Sued" is a four-letter word in my book, and is not going to do the sport
as a whole any good.  One of the biggest problems in America today, IMO,
is that we are all too ready to hire a lawyer, when a sit-down with the
parties involved and a good, hard look at the situation will usually solve
the problem, or at least improve the overall situation, in a much faster,
friendier and more productive way.

Do you really want 13 non-horsey people -- the average judge and jury --
to make a decision as to who was at fault in this situation?  How could
they possibly know what happened, and what it's like to ride endurance and
race to the finish?  How could they understand what a ridecamp is like on
race day?  No, I think we need to police ourselves, and I will leave it to
the RM and responsible parties (AERC) in that region to assess the
situation and any penalties they deem fit.

It is impossible for those of us who weren't there to accurately judge
what happened, and we shouldn't even be trying.  I hope this was merely a
tragic accident, one from which the rest of us will learn something.
Accidents happen with horses all the time, and that's a risk we all take.
Analyzing accidents and using the data to try and prevent future accidents
should be the focus of this discussion, *IF* we are to discuss this at all
(since most of us having this discussion weren't even there).

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region