Re: RC: RC: David Boggs Suspension -Reply

At 10:06 AM 9/18/99 -0600, you wrote:

>They use all kinds of techniques to get a horse's alert attention:  Fire
>extinguishers, people walking around under tarps, tape recorders of
>horses whinnying or zoo lions roaring, umbrellas - I'm sure there's
>things they do that I can't even imagine!  Lif

Hey Lif - should've said 'lions, tigers, and BEARS' I distinctly remember
being talked into being the 'bear' at a photo shoot by one of the, if not
the, top arabian photographers. All I can say about that shoot was that I
honestly cannot say who was more tired at the end - the people or the horses
:-}  No whips involved, though.

In regards to the halter stance, I think you can really see it in the
horses' position, whether the training was intensely abusive or not. The
ones with the noses high in the air {evasion and escaping} seem to be the
worse, while the more relaxed in appearance seem to have their necks
politely arched with interest towards the handler, and don't seem so stiff.
Just my observation, though.

I know this has been said countless times before - but it bears
repeating...It would be nice {not to mention that it would promote the breed
in a more responsible and effective manner} if the halter classes were not
permitted unnatural stances - the stretching and stargazing horses do not
make judging actual conformation very easy. {Yes, I know, actual
conformation plays a minor role in the halter ring nowadays}. I think that
judging horses stood square, perhaps with an arched neck and alert head{not
stargazing or evading} and then on the walk-trot and disposition for an
overall score, would be more effective in promoting useful, correct, AND
beautiful arabians. And perhaps this would better promote the arabian as a
using horse, instead of a flighty, fancy, barn ornament.

Call me silly, but I don't particularly care for the waspy waisted horse
with no hip, and what may appear to be a flat {and lately even uphill
towards the tailhead} croup when stretched - but in a natural stance
actually reveals rump-high conformation. I believe I've seen more of this
promoted lately, but then again, I haven't been as up-to-date on the show
scene as I used to be {and not regretting it terribly}.