Tevis: Thanks Larry!

I enjoyed the coverage of Tevis in the latest Endurance News and not just
because it had a picture of Remington and me.  The thing I liked best was the
reminder that this was Larry Suddijan's last year of managing the ride (he
co-managed this year) after a decade in the hot seat.

I've only been to Tevis twice, but everyone I've spoken to says the ride has
gotten better every year under Larry's management. As much as I loved the
ride last year, this year was still an improvement.  That goes for both  the
little things like detailed maps of the Robinson's and Foresthill vet checks
and the big things like a safer and more scenic trail around Squaw Valley.
Tevis has an army of great volunteers and a corp of dedicated vets.  Still,
Larry has set the tone as ride manager.  No matter how busy he has seemed to
be before or during the ride, he has always been accessible, friendly and
cheerful to me.

I started thinking about this when it became clear to me at Devil's Thumb
that I was just going to miss the cut-off time at Deadwood again like last
year.  At first all I could think about was how humiliating it was to be
yanked again and how I should probably quit endurance.  But my pony had
passed five other horses in the canyon and was still pushing hard.  He's no
quitter.  I began to think about what a wonderful time I'd had all week and
about all the people who had helped us and cheered us on, like Candi and the
other AERC staff members who came over the night before the ride and wished
us luck.  I realized I wouldn't miss Tevis for the world no matter what
happened to us.

So Remington and I will be back.  We'll hang out with our buddies all week.
We'll do our best but will probably be pulled for overtime at Deadwood,
anyway.  Sort of like our own personal "Groundhog Day."  Still, I can think
of worse things than being doomed to be part of the thrills and spectacle
that make up Tevis every year. And next year Larry will be riding with us.

Larry, you've been an inspiration and a great friend to a whole lot of
people.  I really don't know how we will ever thank you.  Good luck on the
trail.

John Parke
Solvang CA