First Arabian Horse (long, it wasnt meant to be).

I think there are many factors which attribute to the healthy success of
breaking or making an endurance (prospect).  I say "prospect" because you
can buy what you think is the ideal endurance horse by whoevers standards
and you get out on the trail and guess what?  They could care less.  You
won't know anything until you are out on the trail and the "when" part is
what is so debateable-sp?  No matter what some will agree and some won't.
So here's my story:

It was a rainy December night in Sacramento about 4 yrs. ago.  I was at
work, picked up the paper and of course always go straight to the
"horses/livestock for sale" area.  I scroll down to find an ad that screamed
this horse must have 3 legs.  2yr old filly, grey, 14.2, beautiful,
registered, 325.00.  I called expecting to hear a tragic story or that
something was obviously wrong with this horse.  The man that answered said
"lady, this horse was just dropped off at my ranch today, the women who owns
her lives in Pleasanton and is going through a divorce and needs to get rid
of about 10 horses".  All I know is this was her baby and she regrettably
has to sell.  I told him I would drive out.  I had nothing better to do and
us horse people just like being around horses, horse stuff, horse shows,
horse poop (just kidding), horse people, etc, etc...  The ranch was in
Granite Bay and was very nice.  The rain was pouring down really hard.  The
man met me at the barn and pointed out the filly.  It was dark so I said
just put a halter on her and turn her loose in the arena.  He did just that.
My heart immediately went to my throat.  She danced on air.  Her tail
straight up, her neck arched and snapping at every turn.  She had fire and
most importantly- spirit.  She floated, her legs were straight, she had
never been touched let alone broke.  I did what I don't recommend to do but
I bought her without a vet check because more than anything after seeing
this horse move I knew I needed her.  I took her to my girlfriends ranch and
let her just be a horse the 1st year.  I loved her and she loved me back.
She was in a pack of wonderful endurance horses and was the only mare.  When
I showed up the entire pack would be on the back of the property and she
would be the one to step forward when she saw me and the others held back.
She knew her mom.  Ok, let me get to the point.  Sorry its taking so long I
just get engrossed when I think about these horses.  Anyway, I planned like
a lot of other people (btw, my background is training jumpers in a show
circuit starting them about the age of 2, they were off the track) to start
slow in the breaking process by ground driving her until she felt
comfortable enough to accept tack, and then the weight of her mom.  It didnt
happen that way.  One day I began driving her around the arena and she
stopped and turned her head (oh, I forgot she had a saddle on by this time)
to look at me. It  felt right so I slowly put my foot in the stirrup
watching her slightest response and she just watched.  When I slid my leg
over and slowly dropped my weight onto her back, her head went forward, ears
back (just listening) and we just stood.  Tears probably came down my face
because I knew now (eventhough I new right away she trusted me) she really
trusted me and she told me it was ok.  She is 6 now and we were able to do 3
50's so far.  Last year Gardnerville (from hell) Gallop,  this year, Derby
(yes we survived) Ditch, and Scotts (I'm glad to see sun finally) Flat 50.
She speaks, and I listen.  I think every horse is different but regardless
you throw the dice doing it my way and you wont know you have an endurance
horse until you are out on the trail.  Thanks for listening and happy
trails!!

P.S. For the person who said she would make a nice childs horse, we'll see
you on the Tevis trail.

Roxy-(I'm proud to be out of The Real McCoy) Ross