Quarterhorses & Apache Kid Trail Ride

Kerry kdykes@hotmail.com
You're right about all QH's not being built equal.  Mine is a lean version, with either thoroughbred or arabian in his (not too distant) past.  Originally he was a working ranch horse, then a team penner, until I started using him 2 years ago on LD's, 25's and 30's.  He has top 10'd in nearly every ride (notice I didn't use the word RACE - it wasn't that).  Has never been lame, injured or sick (knock on wood -- ouch! that was my head).

This year I started using my Arabian and a friend has continued to ride him LD.  Last weekend we rode the Apache Kid Trails in New Mexico.  Two day ride, 31 miles and 25 miles, through challenging terrain and he did great both days.  Would I take a "normal" (aka "chunky" built) QH on this ride - no.  Would I use him on a 50?  After seeing his performance this weekend, probably yes, depending on terrain and weather conditions.  So the answer to the question about QH's is --- depends.  On the horse, the training/conditioning, the rider, and ride conditions.

By the way, those of you who missed the Apache Kid Trails ride missed a beautiful ride, good food, good people and a fun time.  This is one ride I will return to!

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-