Hot Weather Syndrome

Nancy Muller Farafix@aol.com
Sarah made an interesting comment that the weather was so hot in July & Aug that only the most dedicated trained.  I had in interesting experience recently that indicates to me that riding in that #)!#*! weather could be important.
Took Tempo to the Hewit the Hermit ride last weekend, 1st time.  Fairly tough ride with a lot of climbs & weather was warm.  We didn't have the level of conditioning we normally would have as Tempo had a big layoff thru July into Aug as I was out of town a lot this summer.  Normally I would be dragging myself out into the humid/hot/stifling Washington DC muggies at midday to ride, but this summer I only got him out 3 or 4 times in the really hot humid weather.  It cooled down by the time I got back in town, & 1 of the 3 weeks I did ride him was up in WV where it was cooler.
Anyway, I went a little too fast the 2nd leg of the Hewit the Hermit & it took me almost 20 min to get his pulse down, which was unusual for Tempo.  STrangely, he vetted out all A's, but I decided to slow down.  The 3rd leg he hit 168 just slowly walking up hills.  We took it real easy, and his pulse came down nicely at the 3rd check.  Interestingly, on the 4th leg, he hit mid 130's walking briskly up the hills (walking faster than on the 3rd leg --- same hills).
My conclusions1) He lost more conditioning than I realized over the summer --- 3 weeks after a 6 week layoff was not enough to get him totally back in shape (plus he was pleasingly plump after a summer on pasture & didn't need the extra insulation).  2) I went too fast on the 1st 2 loops, esp the 2nd.  I usually really ride the heart monitor & I didn't as much this ride, letting him go over 160 more than I usually would  3) Because I went too fast, he got hot & was panting at the 2nd vet check.  Interestingly, he didn't eat or drink until his pulse was down to the low 70's, then he started chowing down (more like him).
I think if I had been home & done my normal conditioning out in the sweltering weather, he would have been better able to handle the heat.  I hate riding in it, but it is good conditioning!
My  $.02!

Nancy
Md

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-