National Championship Ride

    For the last week I have been reading all the posts regarding what
the National Championship Ride should be, shouldn't be, or whether it
should be at all.  Some felt it should be the team that accumulated the
most miles and/or points throughout the year; some felt it should be
settled at a multi-day ride; possibly as a triple crown of the Tevis,
OD, and a third race.  Someone felt there should not be a championship
race, but liked the idea of the AERC Classic--they are one in the same.

     The problem I see with awarding this title to the one with the most
miles or highest points is that these are honors that are already given
as our regional and national mileage and point award winners which
indeed show the endurance and soundness of the horse.   But both the
high points and high mileage categories usually involve a lot of rides
and a lot of travelling which is not possible by many members.

    There seems to be a concern that there is no format that is going to
please everyone in determining a national champion, and that is probably
true.   I feel the members need to look at the championship ride, not
necessarily as determining the "best horse", but as the horse and rider
team that --at a particular time and place because of the courage,
strategy, and skill of the rider, and the conditioning, stamina and
athletic ability of the horse-- were able to win in a head to head
competition against  the top horse and rider teams in their own weight
division.  This concept is no different than the Kentucky Derby or the
Olympics.  The Kentucky Derby and the Olympics do not necessarily
determine who is the best, but it does determine who-- on that one day--
for that one moment-- was able to triumph.

    As opposed to the point and mileage gathering awards, the national
championship does not leave room for error.  On that one day, the team
must compete at the highest level with the rider taking into account the
terrain and weather conditions.  The winners of the various weight
divisions  wear the title and get the recognition of being the winner of
the national championship ride until the next national championship ride
when again the top teams compete.   I think the national championship
ride will grow and mature and in time will become as prestigous as the
Tevis Cup.

    Over the next few weeks, the competitons committee will be working
on "fine-tuning" the championship ride with respect to qualifying
criteria, awarding of points, etc.  A recommendation by the competitions
committee will be presented to the board for their input and vote at the
mid-year meeting in Albuquerque in October.  Members are urged to either
email me (privately--so as not to clutter ridecamp) or their AERC
director with comments and suggestions.

Terry Woolley Howe
Chairman, Competitions Committee