national championship

You wrote:
- maybe alternate between east coast and west coast for the annual championship ride.
I would like to throw in the central zones, too. Personally, I could not have gone to this one, as getting there and back would have required too many days off. Had it been in July or June, that would not have been a problem, since I teach school. However, I am sure other folks have year-round jobs, so including the middle of the country in the rotation would help them, too.
The points system seems fairer to me, since people can compete in their own regions and other regions close to them if they so choose, and not be required to cross the country to compete. But I am so new to this, I don't know the history, so I can only offer an opinion with what slight knowledge I have.
Mary Fields