AERC National Championship

Duane Barnett DVM docduane@aol.com
For various reasons I do not routinely post to this forum but I will make some comments about the AERC national Championship.
Give this event a chance. The concept of competing head to head within your own weight division for national recognition is a great concept. The location of the event will not remain the same as it will rotate every couple of years. Yes the rider turnout was low but everyone had the same chance to qualify and be there. Some individuals simply choose to have different goals. There are great horse rider teams that will most likely not ever go to an FEI event for example. This ride is not designed to be an individual ride manager event. AERC as a whole needs to get behind this event if it is to grow. Yes there were mistakes made in the planning of this event but what large  popular rides have not made mistakes? How many riders did ROC have the first year or so? The Old Dominion while a great ride  was low on entries this year. I believe that most every rider that was present at the first AERC championship had a great week. As one of the ride vets I saw great displays of horsemanship. There were a couple of riders in the 100 who had problems, they listened to the commnets of the ride vets and hteir crews made adjustments and finished the ride. There were riders in both the 50 and 100 who were not accustomed to the rocky, mountainous terrain but thye also listened,made adjustments and finished the ride in great shape. That folks is what AERC is and should be about!
Anyone who has comments about this event should speak up! Write the AERC office or competitions cpmmittee. Do not whine because you for whatever reason chose not to participate in  the first AERC National Championship and become part of history. Make constructive suggestions and support the event, or get your horse ready for next year, or keep your mouth shut about those individuals who chose to have differnet goals other than FEI, Tevis or the Old Dominion!  The AERC national championship will continue to grow and prosper with or without you!

                                                    Duane Barnett

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-