AERC National Championship

As I said yesterday, I am happy to see the dialogue and sharing of
thoughts on the AERC NC Rides.  Even as you post messages, the AERC
Competitions Committee is working on refining the rides.  However, let me
share some of my thoughts on this event.

Many of the posts on ridecamp have related to qualifications, the
definition of a NC, longevity vs speed, "can there be a true NC", and so
on.  I believe all your positions have merit, however,  reality and
logistics dictate what AERC can actually do.  The last real questionnaire
that AERC presented to the membership was in 1992 (that is why we have a
new one in the mail).  The National Series Championship was in effect at
that time and the qualifications required that horse and rider have 400
miles together from Aug 1 to July 31. One question asked if the
qualifications should remain as they are or should change to 1,000 career
miles for the horse.  62% liked the 400 miles vs 15% for 1,000, while 17%
felt the qualifications should be dropped entirely.

Probably the most SIGNIFICANT QUESTION and ANSWER was:  "If we maintain
our current series with weight divisions, etc. would you like to see AERC
also put on a ROC type ride to circulate among the regions?"  An
overwhelming 81% said they wanted AERC to use this format for our own
AERC Championship.   In a sense, this is what AERC did this
year.......except we added a 50 mile ride to the format and only
recognized the weight division winners rather than overall winner in both
distances.  There is no question that we need to continue to shape and
form this ride, but that is and will happen.  The facts are:  this event
will grow and prosper, it will circulate around the country, it does
allow head to head competition between some of the best horses and
riders, it allows equal recognition and glory to each weight division,
and on that day at that place...............we will settle the question
of which horse and rider team in each weight division is the BEST.

One of the things I love about AERC is that it offers something for
everyone.  Each of our categories for national awards and recognition has
a name, and this new category is simply named the AERC National
Championship.  THIS NEXT STATEMENT DEFINES THE TRUE IMPORTANCE OF THIS
EVENT- Because of its name and the excitement of head to head
competition, the National Championships give AERC something that can
catch the fancy and imagination of the American Public.  In the future it
will give us a vehicle to showcase AERC and Endurance via television,
national periodicals, and other mass media venues........ with that comes
interest, growth, and new members.....and that is where the future and
good health of AERC/Endurance will be found.