changing diagonals

Liz Ladd Skiparound@aol.com
My 15 year old Appendix Quarter Horse completed his (and my) first ride 11 months ago so we are new to the sport. Prior to endurance riding we showed over low (3 ft.) fences in Hunter classes.  Recently, during extended trots, he will break into a slow canter in order to switch me from his left diagonal to the right. He is sound, takes either lead at the canter so this disturbes me.  Should I trot more on the left diagonal during training to build him up?  During a race I will most likely stay on the right diagonal or maintain a half seat position so we don't "fuss" at each other. Any thoughts or sugestions out there?

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-