Re: RC: Handheld heart rate transmitters

eddie spurgeon wrote:

> >They do some sort of sampling and averaging, don't they?
> >
> >   Anyhow, their use introduces the possibility of loose
> electrodes, etc. I
> >  really don't see how the use of an intelligent human is a
> problem.
> >               --CMNewell, DVM
>
> How about that little hand-held monitor?  I haven't heard much
> about them,
> seems like just the thing for P&R persons.
>
> Jackie Baker

> Our club, Texas Arabian Distance Riders Association bought 3 of the hand
> held heart rate transmitters two years ago, thinking that this would help us
> in our P/R checks at Frigid Digit and Texas Bluebonnet Classic rides. Didn't
> really work too good. At the winter ride we needed to keep a liberal coating
> of gel on the transmitter to get them to work at all and at the spring ride,
> if the horse was really sweated up, they worked, kinda'. My conclusion is
> that they are not suited for P/R at rides, there is a lag and averaging
> phase which slows things down somewhat. This is not intended to knock the
> product, I'm sure there are many ways this product can be usefull, but
> didn't work out as a control check device during the rides.
>
> Eddie Spurgeon
> Manager, Texas Bluebonnet Classic

Hi all,

one point is not discussed when talking about heart rate monitors: They are just
electronics, able to count an electric signal. What they can't do is to hear
abnormalities in the heart sound, irregular beats as well as un unsteady pulse
(which average might be  ok).
Heart rate monitors are perfect for training as well as for competition to have
an idea of the heart rate. But you should use them as a kind of tachometer. You
have to listen to the whole horse, heart rate is not everything.
At the vetcheck the p/r- person or vet is able to hear a lot more than just the
beat - an electronic equipment can't.
Just my 2 cents.

Wolfgang + Ninja (wired for 6 years now)
Germany